Using mama’s leftover bread, I made some scrumptious croutons and elevated the original Caesar salad using kale and Asiago.
- tear stale bread into chunks, smother in melted butter, dried herbs (to your desire), salt and fresh pepper; toss to coat all of bread
- toast in oven at 375 F for 15 minutes; allow to cool so they will become crunchy!! Yum yum
- combine 1 FRESH egg yolk with a teaspoon anchovy paste, 2 large cloves minced garlic, dash of Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 tsp of dry mustard. salt and pepper to satisfy.
- whisk in a steady stream 1/2 cup olive oil….Tada!
- Wash and chop kale leaves (remove stems–too tough!). Dry THOROUGHLY
- Grate 2/3 cup Asiago (or parmesan or other hard cheese) and put on bottom of salad bowl.
- Add kale and then croutons. Pour half of dressing evenly over. Toss salad. Add rest of dressing, and toss again (make sure you get to the bottom of the bowl otherwise you won’t distribute the cheese!!)